For the ones hustling to improve themselves and their urban life

NO EXPECTATIONS TO A REALLY TASTY EXPERIENCE

By 1:47 PM

Click the picture to read more >> While we've decided to go to Stockholm with Viking Line (it was the second time ever for me), we were a little scared by the fact that the food onboard might not be what you'd expect and partly is true. There is a lot of unhealthy choices and the healthy ones are not really that tasty (and actually gross - fun fact - I ordered a veggie burger and I got it with dishwasher pearls in it). There was this over priced Viking Line Buffet (though seemed to be quite crowded) and the other restaurant was this Ella's. The tax free shops were selling no food at all (only couple readymade sandwiches which really didn't look that appetizing) and we were told we were not allowed to bring our own food. It was a pity because the day when we left we did some shopping and we got really healthy readymade food (fresh salads and pasta salads) and we were fooled by this silly thing and we didn't take them (we were eating them before boarding thinking they would actually check out bags or something).

Anyway! The thing is that we were left with no choice than to order something from this Ella's restaurant. So we did. This is what we got. I think it was place 11 in the current Menu list and was called "Ella's Hamburger Plate with 100% Beef Patty Bacon, Cheddar Cheese, Chipotle Mayonnaise, and french fries" (if I am not mistaken).


The burger was really big. I was a little bit skeptical at first (well you know what they say "quality over quantity") but gave it a try and been writing down some notes on the flavors. The price was 15e (with normal french fries) though I got the side-order of sweet potato fries (and change that added 1e more to the bill).

It was really warm when I got it, the buns were heated good, the bacon was really crispy, fries were hot and crispy too...and this is the surprize I got when I cut a piece.


Huge patty! Wow! I might not be an expert in burgers but this so far has been the thickest I've seen so far! The meat was perfectly cooked (not too raw not overcooked - just the way I like it), and it had a slice of melted cheddar on top which fused with the rich beef flavor. I was happy tasting the salad since it was quite crunchy, so far my experiences have been bad with salads in burgers, somehow they are not freshly assembled and they are watery and sunken in the lower bun. So was clearly recently assembled. 
Going back to the meat, which was the queen here as we can see, was juicy and covered with bacon as well and I liked that this was still crunchy. 
All this deliciousness was served originally with french fries and 2 salsas. I switched the french fries with the sweet potato fries for a "healthier" option for 1e additional. Was worth it. The salsas, if I am not mistaken were a chilli salsa and a regular mayo. Delicious with the sweet potato!

Overall, I approve! Has been delicious though not really überhealthy (the salsas and the fries and buns) but definitely worth the money. I am a little sad that this is actually the only option you can get from the Gabriella cruise. I would increase the meal options and variety. I was looking at the food from the buffet and well, could be improved and especially the kids buffet (not the healthiest even if it's for a 2 days trip).

My advice to travellers/new Helsinkians and whoever wants to travel with Viking Line?: Bring your own food. It would be ridiculous if you're not allowed to have your own food onboard (especially if you are following a strict diet). Book a cabin above the car deck (over Deck 2) because down there smells like gas and nobody will fall asleep at night like that! Plus the cabins are nicer the upper you get! And last but not least, if you do not mind skipping your diet, go to Ella's and order a pizza, a hamburger or the beef steak, these are all delish and we've tried them for you already and we approve!

Have a lovely trip and don't forget to bring back some candy to your dear ones! It's cheaper onboard!

Share your experiences with me in Twitter and Instagram by hashtagging #helsinGEEK !


You Might Also Like

0 comments